Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Nantucket Thoughts

I am taking my first vacation since starting the Priceless Legacy Company.

My family and I are in Nantucket, Massachusetts. It is a place most noted for two characteristics, both of which are also fundamental to Priceless Legacy. One is history and the other is family. Nantucket is old . . . not geologically but culturally. The Puritans and Quakers settled here not long after Plymouth and Boston and the reach of the islands whalers in the Eighteen and Nineteenth Centuries is legendary. Historical preservation is mania and woe be it to anyone who challenges that ethic.

It is also a place where families gather. Many generations of grandparents, adult children who are parents themselves and little ones walk the picturesque cobblestone streets. I can't help but wonder about all the great memories they create and celebrate here . . . but how quick they will fade if they do not take decisive action to save them. I want to grab anyone over sixty and shout "don't you know this won't last forever!"

But that would not be very "Preppy" or appropriate. Clearly, though, we need to keep sounding the alarm.

No comments: