Sunday, July 26, 2009

The Comfort of Knowing

I have spent a lot of time over the last few days at the hospital. My health is good, but my mother, having just turned 85 had a bit of a scare the involved a five day stay.

I have spent a lot of bedside hours with her and you know what was one of the primary topics of conversation? Her PLC book! I continue to amaze myself just how impactful the Life Story experience can be . . and often in unforeseen ways.

Not only did I have the peace of mind of knowing that we were prepared had this been the "big one," it also gave my mother a sense of "bring it on" confidence that I found very inspiring.

We spent a lot of time talking about her life and times. The scariness of the episode was much reduced by the knowledge that we had finished that Life Story a year ago.

If God wills it, she and I will keep talking about it for year to come.

No comments: