Thursday, April 16, 2009

Marketing Wisdom from "Restored Stories" in Oregon

Brina Bolanz, an experienced personal historian in the Portland Oregon area posted a comment to the ListServ of the Association of Personal Historians that I thought was as clear and simple a description of the action steps for a marketing plan for a PH or and LC as I have seen in a while. This is what I refer to as telling your story and exhibiting your passion. Thanks to Brina for letting me print it here.


Heather wrote: "I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share how they went about starting up their 'personal history' business (specifically those who write personal histories)."

I got my first tiny client by handing out my card at a garage sale.
Seriously. I got my first big one because an old jr. high school classmate found me on Facebook, and a few months later his dad wanted someone who could help him with his book, and he thought of me.

As for finding clients, I'd say mine those "friends and family" first off.
They'll be kind and you'll get great samples of your work.

I haven't been in business long, but in my opinion it is so much about word of mouth & trust. Ads don't work.

Hand out your card freely, talk about what you do to everyone you meet/know.
Find out if there are senior-oriented business networking groups in your town - if you meet others who work with your potential clients, you can let other people's marketing work for you, too. Make sure they know who you are so if their clients ask about such services, they know who to call. Do your best to refer people to them, and make sure they tell 'em who sent 'em.

Offer to give talks on preserving story at places that have your target market (i.e. older adults who can afford it, in general).

Offer to write articles for small local papers, or group newsletters, etc.

If the price is okay, have a booth at smaller conventions or conferences, if the market is right (someone was asking about that earlier). I target genealogists, heritage preservation groups, and retirement facilities right now. I'm having a table this weekend a genealogists' conference. It's $50, but it's right here in Portland -- I'll see if it pays off. In any case, I get to sit in on the conference, which is about tracing German relatives (my dad's side is German), so I'll learn something from my money anyway!

Go to other larger events/exhibitions as an attendee, and walk around with your bag of samples and biz cards and introduce yourself to everyone -- much cheaper than a $300 booth. :)


Great stuff, Brina. Thanks.

No comments: