Monday, November 17, 2008

Stories Lost

I took my Boy Scout Troop on a camping trip to the LBJ National Grasslands near Decatur, Texas over the weekend. It was cold (by Texas standards) but beautiful. Naturally, as we sat around the campfire, the conversation turned to what was new with each of us. When it was my turn, I talked about the exciting start to the Priceless Legacy Company and how much fun we were having building the company and identifying Legacy Consultants.

I directed most of my comments to the other two adult leaders, but the boys (aged 11-15) could not help but join in. I was fascinated on how they were taken with my idea. A few started sharing fragments of stories about their own grandparents. They were clearly curious and proud of their family stories, yet none had seriously contemplated that they would not always have access to them. In fact, many stories ended with "or something like that" since this "one more generation removed" had only the most loose grasp on fact and detail. These scouts were excited that some grandparents (to them) would take the important step of creating LifeStories and virtually all expressed hope that their families would be similarly blessed.

It is amazing what the young can perceive and what they can teach us if we will listen. Many are far less self-absorbed and aware than sometimes gets credit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Reading the account of your troop’s interest and recollection of their grandparents really hit home with me. It brought me back to a special time in my own youth, summers spent on my Grandparents farm in Virginia. It was a beautiful place appropriately named “Green Hills Farm” overlooking the Rappahannock River. I remember long days exploring with tons of cousins, catching my first fish in the small pond, the annual crab feast piled on newspaper in the back yard and catching fireflies (we called them “lightning bugs”). I feel extremely lucky to have experienced these summer rituals. My own daughters are still fascinated by the stories, especially having grown up in a city. I’m so impressed with how Priceless Legacy has accomplished such an effective way of preserving these moments. The importance of family and our own history is relevant now more than ever. I can’t think of a better gift any time of year. Please continue to share your stories.